Sunday, August 2, 2009

Logan's First Emergency

Last Tuesday, we went to the gym just like we do most days of the week. I had just finished running (drenched in sweat from head to toe) and got on the elliptical to finish my workout. I listen to my i-pod ridiculously loud (my husband will vouch) so it was quite lucky that I heard the Kid's Care workers paging "Ms. Bryner please come to the child care" in between songs. I thought for sure that someone had pooped or that Dane was fussy...I wish that were the case.

When I got there Logan was hysterical with a swarm of people around him and blood EVERYWHERE! Supposedly he fell off of a little pusher bike and landed on his mouth. The workers thought that he may have bit through his tongue or something, but whatever had happened it must have really hurt because Logan never cries this long and this loud when he gets hurt so I new it was bad. I had to put Dane in the car first (since he was in his carrier and Logan needed to be held) and then grab Logan and rush to the Urgent Care, which luckily was on the corner by the gym.

With a carrier, diaper bag, and bleeding child in my arms I stumbled into the Urgent Care covered in blood and sweating bullets. The nurses took him right away and tried to figure out the source of the bleeding. Logan was still hysterical at this point and it took me sitting on him and the doctor and a nurse pinning him down on each side to pry open his mouth to figure out what had happened. When we were finally able to see in his mouth his bottom gums looked like hamburger and his bottom teeth were loose. Apparently, when he hit his jaw his upper teeth cut right into his bottom gums...thank goodness for his little over bite! Also, under his chin was black and blue and VERY swollen from taking the impact of the fall.

The doctor said that there was nothing she could do and that he needed to be seen by a dentist right away. Thank goodness I have a dentist on speed dial...my brother-in-law Matt! Jen called him and told him we were on our way. Miraculously, both of my crying boys fell asleep instantly when they got in the car, which gave me a moment to get myself together.

Matt looked at him right away and Logan seemed very grateful for a familiar face. With all of the bleeding and swelling he didn't think that it was necessary to do x-rays and that he will check on him over the next few days. He also, didn't think that Logan's teeth were going to fall out and that there shouldn't be any long term damage, which was VERY reassuring to hear. He said to give him Motrin and try popsicles to help with the swelling.

That night Matt stopped by on his way home from work to check on Logan. We are so thankful to Matt and his willingness to drop everything (he canceled a lunch meeting to see us) and help his nephew. We are proud to have such an amazing dentist and Uncle in the family!

The next day, Logan's face was so swollen...he looked like a little butter ball with his round much more chubbier than usual face (I took a picture, but we are having camera/computer issues so I will have to post it later)! Progressively, his swelling has subsided, his teeth have tightened up, and the bruising has started to fade. He has handled the whole thing like a champ! He actually, was running around like nothing happened only a few hours after we left Matt's office. It is amazing how resilient kids are...they are so tough! I am so thankful that his injury turned out to be mild because it could have been much worse and again I am so thankful to Matt for coming to our rescue!!! Thanks Dr. Roper!!!

I know that accidents happen and that kids get hurt A LOT, but we felt like we needed to switch gyms to one that has better child care. We actually had already ended our membership at that gym for many reasons (child care being one of them) before Logan's accident so we just signed up for a new one a little earlier. We aren't taking legal action or anything...we are not like that especially because his injury was somewhat minor. But like I said, this will not be the last time that he gets hurt and all I can do is try to prevent that to the best of my ability:)

9 comments:

Lac said...

OH my gosh a similar thing happened to Keini when he was just a baby. He was strapped into a stroller and Akira pushed the stroller down some stairs onto the pavement and he bit through his bottom lip, stiches and everything. It was so sad! So I feel your pain! I'm glad that he's feeling better, and you are so lucky to have a dentist in the family! I'm glad you switched gyms, they should have been on that huh!

The Bonham Family said...

Oh, Jess I was reading that and could feel your panic. I would totally switch gyms not to say that accidents don't happen. As a mommy there is nothing worse than seing your kids in pain. Im so glad you have Jen's hubby to save the day and for you being such a great mommy! I worked in the dental office for 4 years and can't tell you how many times I saw kids have something similiar to that and it always make me so sad. Hope he feels tons better!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Matt could help and we are so glad that Log is okay. Yeah for the new gym, I am signing up today ;).

Aly said...

Oh that is so sad! I would have been freaking out too! Poor little guy. Hope he feels better soon!!! It's so hard seeing them get hurt! Nothing worse!

Marie Holmes said...

Man, My kids have had numerous mouth injuries and they are so scary! I'm glad Matt was there, he's a great sport! Glad Logan is doing better.
We actually have had to take Jace to Instacare twice after he fell in the tub and split his chin open on the side of the tub. I was sure they were going to call social services!
Anyways, hang in there. Like you say, you'll have more.
I'm so glad you were there helping Jen. We were so worried. It is so nice you two have each other so close!
Hope all is well. I thought of Logan on July 11th, sounds like he had a great birthday!

The Thurber's said...

We have had a couple of similar 'emergencies' and I turn into a chaotic crying mess. We were at a puppet show one when the stage actually tipped over and landed on gracie's foot and broke it! We (obviously) never went back, either.
Logan is a sweetheart and how great for him to have such a wonderful uncle!!

Heather said...

That is so scary! I'm glad he's healing well though, that is one thing I dread happening to my babies :( Good idea on switching gyms!

Nicole said...

Isn't that awful when stuff happens! And why does it always seem to happen when you haven't showered or look like crap! Sounds like it all ended as well as it could. But it still doesn't make you feel any better about things. : (

JR and Brynn said...

Oh, Jess, that is so so sad. There is no worse feeling than having our children hurt, huh? What panic. I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is true kids are amazingly resilient, though. I am so happy he will be okay - what a trooper. You are sure an awesome mommy to hold it together and race him everywhere with Dane. Glad it is all over now.