Monday, December 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Ben!!!

Today, December 17th, is Ben's birthday. He is the big 3...1!!! I know, he is getting old! We both are! Despite being old, Ben is an incredible husband and daddy. Logan and I are so blessed to have him in our lives. Ben is the most selfless person I know. Not only will he do anything for me and Logan, but he would do anything for family, friends, ward members, and even complete strangers! He is a very hard worker, which is a wonderful quality that he learned from his parents. Since Ben was young his motto has always been, "Work like a beaver, be an achiever" a song that he often sang to me while I was needing extra motivation in pharmacy school. He is the second oldest of 7 kids, so he has always been a natural born leader, example, and friend to all of his siblings. He will never fail to volunteer to help anyone in any situation.

Coming from a big family, he also learned how to go with the flow, be easy to please, and adapt to and make the most of any situation. In college, he lived with a bunch of guys in an apartment and all he had for his room was a sleeping bag, his dinosaur blanket, a foam mattress, his clothes, and of course his ski gear tucked in a little corner of one of the rooms. All of his friends called it his "nest" and Ben was completely happy with his little set-up.

Ben also is one of those naturally smart people (which I despise)who hardly ever have to study to get decent grades. He actually would go to his classes 30 minutes before a test and START studying for the first time and he would pass! I like to say that Ben skied his way through college, but he learned all that he needed to become successful in his career. Ben is also very confident, but not arrogant. He doesn't get nervous to public speak, approach people he doesn't know, or teach an Elder's Quorum lesson with 5 minutes notice! He is very approachable, sincere, and completely dorky...which I love! For example, every time he is in the bathroom for whatever reason, he always starts to sing "76 Trombones Led the Big Parade" in the most cheerful and upbeat voice possible. He always has a song in his heart, which I think is one of the ways he maintains his positive and silly personality. People are drawn to him because he is so genuinely nice and fun.

He is such a good man and I couldn't ask for a better example for me, Logan, and all of our future children. I just want to thank him for all that he does for me and the happiness that he brings to my life. Happy birthday Ben and I am so thankful to be able to spend eternity with you! Love you!

11 comments:

Ashlie said...

What a nice tribute to your husband. He is extremely lucky to have you also. From his qualities and knowing you, you both make a perfect match. Love you Jess and I can't wait to see you on Saturday.

Lac said...

Hello there girly! You are an amazing writer. In reading your tribute to both your Dad and your hubby, you seriously have an amazing way with words! Anyway- can't wait to see you this week! Tell your hubby happy birthday!

Lacie

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN! You are truly a great guy. Thanks for making Jess so happy! Hope to see you when you come to Salt Lake.

Suzy

Anonymous said...

Ben your cool. From your friend and admirer, the nice Mr. Rasmussen.

..::k.toms::.. said...

Ben sounds like an outstanding guy!
You are lucky to have him Jess! (He's also VERY lucky to have you too!)
I agree with Lacie- you have a amazing way with words!
Sweet tribute

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Ben! You did a great job, Jess, explaining what a great guy Ben truly is! We love him and are so thankful for him too! My kids think Ben is their second dad and love him just about as much as they do Matt!!

Love the slide show!

The Bonham Family said...

Jessica- Your so cute! Happy Birthday to Ben! We will have to do a dinner with some of the girls and our Hubby's so I can get to know him better. We'll see ya Sat! Get up here safe. Love ya Jen

Unknown said...

Ben sounds like an amazing guy! Happy Birthday!

Lac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lac said...

Jess I just have to apologize for not being able to see you when you came up for Christmas. I had every intention in coming, but the closer it got the more overwhelmed I felt about what I had left to accomplish for the following days. So I AM SO SORRY!!! Next time your up here, lets try again because I so wanted to see you and your sweet baby! Anyway- hope you had a terrific Christmas!

Lacie

The Ottosen Family said...

Hey, sweetie... I'm sorry I missed you at the Christmas party! My mother in law came into town sooner then expected and I didn't want to leave her home alone. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!
Natalie